Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Frankenstein's Monster

Hello fellow geeks.

Today has made me happy.

Last week I ordered a whole bunch of spare parts for my long-time brokted iPhone 3G. New back shell, new LCD panel and a new off button.

Today they arrived.

Only £30 from Amazon. SO much cheaper than the £150+ Apple will charge for repairs and way cooler 'cos I get to tinker with tiny screws. I haven't worked on something this small since I replaced the batteries in my G-Shock watch (unfortunately the 7-seg display was kaput and I'm not going to delve that far into watch repair with my limited nano-skill so that was a waste of £5!)

After work finished I sat down to some proper work. Hunched over a footstool is not how I anticipated this to go but all my other surface areas are taken up by my TV, PS3 and cable runs. 
 
 I only have a small living space. 
 
After three or so hours the job was complete and then the tension built as I plugged the phone into iTunes.

...

...

...

A couple of USB plug re-insertions later and it was beginning to show signs of life. The apple logo replaced the dead battery symbol and I knew then that I'd been successful.

"It's alive!"

biggrin


I have pictures of all the individual components removed during the procedure. But I can't find my camera cable so you'll have to wait!


Talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment